Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Carpe Diem

Today I started my spring cleaning!

I realized doing so, that it'll take a lot longer than I thought to do what I want to accomplish. I want to go through all of our stuff and get rid of the things we don't really need, and keep the essential. We live in a condo and we just don't have the space to keep stuff that don't have any use or meaning.

I started with my bedroom closet. The blankies and comforters were easy to get rid of, even the shoes and the purses. When it got to my clothes, that's a different story.

Would you believe that I had a bag of "too big clothes" and a bag of "too small clothes". I was keeping the first one "in case I gain weight" and the second one for "when I fit in them again". Brilliant!

I took all of it and bagged it for Goodwill. I will not keep "in case" clothes. The only clothes I kept are those I like to wear NOW. The stuff that make me feel good about myself, and that are comfortable. I don't have the space for one thing, and for another I will not keep clothes that have a negative connotation for me.

Too big clothes tell me that I don't trust myself to maintain the weight that I am at now. Too small clothes tell me that, though I'm at a healthy weight, I'm not where I feel I should be. Either way, there's a negative tape playing there, and I certainly don't want or need to listen to them anymore!

It's the same with books, with things, with all the stuff we accumulate and pile up because they are "memories" or for "later uses". It's ridiculous the stuff we actually keep!

Memories aren't in things, they are in my head. I don't need a physical reminder. I'm not talking about pictures, or love letters, I'm talking about a ticket for a show that I saw years ago. I remember seeing it, I don't need the ticket!

As for keeping things for later uses, I've learned over time that either you can't find them when you need them, or they are obsolete and you buy something else anyway.

No more of that! I will keep things that are essential and/or are useful now. Later is later, and I'll deal with it when it comes. My priority is to be comfortable, happy and focused in my life now, so that I can be the best I can be, without being dragged down my the overload of stuff.

Seize the day... Carpe Diem

Be good n stuff!

No comments: